A Simple Guide to Cleaning and Maintaining White Carpets
Who doesn’t like the colour white? It’s such a peaceful, serene and calm colour. If you’re an individual who feels this way, you probably have a lot of white furniture in your house. In addition, if you have a white carpet at home you’re well aware of how difficult and frustrating it is when cleaning it and keep it looking spotless, gleaming and glistening.
But rest assured you’re not the only one that struggles with having to keep these whites sparkling and bright. This is because even the tiniest spill and spot on it is highly visible and can ruin the aesthetic of your home.
Furthermore, if proper care and maintenance is not taken for white carpets, they can start to turn yellow overtime.
Have you ever been curious as to how hotel rooms always manage to keep the white carpets so clean and spotless? We are about to uncover the mystery in this blog by giving you some easy and handy tips and tricks on how you can effectively clean and maintain them.
How to Successfully Clean a White Carpet?
Knowing the methods to use in different circumstances when it comes to cleaning the white carpet is crucial. Here are some listed as follows:
1. To Eliminate Surface Dirt or Dust
Shaking or beating your white carpet is the best method to get rid of surface dust and dirt and prevent it from looking worn out. To do this, follow these steps:
- Pick up your white carpet, roll it and take it outside.
- Next, start by holding the corners of your carpet firmly and shake it. Continue shaking it until you notice dirt, debris or any crumbs falling down.
- In case of a large white carpet, you will need a helping hand or you can hang it over a rack or fence/railing and give it a good beating with a broomstick or other strong sticks like a beating stick or wooden spatula. Ensure that you do this on both sides of the carpet.
2. To Get Rid of Deep Surface Dirt
Vacuuming the white carpet thoroughly will loosen the dirt accumulated in the fibres. Make sure you start with the back and use the beater brush on the vacuum. Although in case of a shaggy white carpet or one that has fibres longer than 3/4, disable the beater brush as this can lead the fibres to get stuck in the vacuum attachment and cause wear and tear.
3. To Remove Odours from White Carpet
Want to freshen and revitalize your white carpet and have it smell great again? Baking soda can do the trick! This is because baking soda is a natural odour absorber. Do this by:
- Sprinkle a little bit of baking soda on your white carpet and let it sit overnight or for a few hours if there is a time-crunch.
- Finally, vacuum up the white carpet.
4. For Stains and Spills
Spot cleaning is a great way to remove stains and spills that have occurred on a few areas on the white carpet. To do this
- Start by taking immediate action and cleaning the spills and spots right away by blotting the liquid with a clean towel. This will remove the excess moisture.
- Incase of a dried stain you can use the edge of a spoon or blunt knife.
- Next, take a small amount of mild detergent and mix it with water.
- Use a white cloth or sponge and blot the stained area with the detergent solution. Avoid rubbing as this can cause the stain to get embedded deeply into the fibres.
- Now, clean the cloth or sponge and keep blotting until the stain disappears.
- Finally, blot the area with water until all the residue of the detergent is removed.
Warning: Some stains are very stubborn and DIY methods can damage your white carpet. If the steps above don’t work, have your carpet professionally cleaned.
5. To Achieve a Deep Clean
- Use a water detergent solution as the one mentioned above.
- Dip a clean sponge or rag into the solution and scrub starting from the corner of the white carpet and work at it in a grid pattern until you go over the entire carpet. Make sure you keep cleaning your sponge or rag frequently.
- Once you’re done scrubbing the whole white carpet, pour clean water in a small amount on it. This will remove all the detergent and prevent dirt and dust from settling on the carpet.
- Lastly, don’t forget to dry your white carpet thoroughly before putting it back in its place. To do this, hang or keep it in an elevated position so that air circulates and it dries completely.
Maintenance Tips to Keep White Carpets Gleaming & Glistening
Get Doormats: A great way to protect your white carpets is to get a doormat for every entrance. This will prevent any dirt from your shoes coming in.
Be Proactive When Stains Occur: The longer you wait to clean up any spills and food or pet stains, the more difficult it becomes to remove them. This is why you need to be proactive when it comes to cleaning spills immediately.
Also, remember that different types of stains would require a different method, so ensure you use the right method and products or you risk permanently damaging your white carpet.
Invest in a High-Quality Vacuum: Vacuuming on a regular basis is one of the best things you can do to take care of your white carpet. So this is where splurging on a vacuum cleaner is definitely worth considering!
Vacuum At Least Twice a Week: Of Course the frequency of vacuuming should depend on how much foot traffic your white carpet receives on a daily basis, twice a week is a great place to get started!
Get Your White Carpet Professionally Cleaned: If you want your white carpet to last a long time and remain spotless and damage free, there is nothing better than getting a professional cleaning.
Although, cleaning your white carpet by yourself can be done, it requires immense knowledge of cleaning methods and the right products. Which is why it is safe to say that DIY comes with a fair-share of disadvantages and can irreversibly harm your carpet causing wear and tear, discoloration and more.
Keeping your white carpet clean and well-maintained shouldn’t be a nightmare and our experts at My Fair Cleaning are here to prove that!
Ali December 17, 2021 Carpet Cleaning